VIASPACE Press Release
Bioenergy Insight Magazine features VIASPACE Giant King Grass
September 6, 2016 - Walnut, California - VIASPACE Inc. (OTC: VSPC) announced that the July/August issue of Bioenergy Insight magazine features an article by VIASPACE Chief Technology Officer, Dr. Carl Kukkonen, focused on Giant King Grass as a dedicated energy crop. The article has the headline “King of the Grass World – Move over wood, perennial grass is looking to have its moment in the spotlight”. The entire article is available using the links below to subscribers of Bioenergy Insight.
The major points of the Bioenergy Insight magazine article are:
- Perennial grasses are attractive bioenergy alternatives to wood which has many competing and higher value uses, and also as a supplement to sugarcane bagasse which is seasonal and only available for part of the year.
- Perennial grasses have a high yield and are fast growing, and can grow on some marginal lands so that they do not displace food crops.
- Giant King Grass has the highest yield and thus the lowest cost of any crop; it is non-invasive and suitable for tropical and subtropical regions where there is no freezing.
- It can be harvested at least twice a year and the first harvest is less than six months after planting.
- It is approved by the US Department of Agriculture which inspects the grass and issues phytosanitary certificates for export.
- Growing and harvesting Giant King Grass is simple and similar to sugarcane.
- Giant King Grass is growing in eight countries around the world.
- Giant King Grass can generate electricity through direct combustion
- 175 acres are needed to produce 1 MW of electricity (with a 10 MW minimum).
- Anaerobic digesters can use Giant King Grass to produce bio methane to fuel an internal combustion engine and electrical generator, or to be upgraded to directly replace natural gas.
- Giant King Grass can be used to produce energy pellets and biocoal.
- It can be used as a non-food feedstock for second-generation cellulosic liquid biofuels such as ethanol and butanol in addition to biochemicals and biomaterials.
- Giant King Grass when cut every two months at 6-8 feet tall is a high nutrition animal feed for dairy cows, cattle, sheep, goats and other animals that eat grass.
VIASPACE CEO, Haris Basit, commented, “I encourage all interested parties to read the Bioenergy Insight article which represents a good summary of the advantages of using Giant King Grass as a dedicated energy crop. Articles like this and invited presentations at conferences are an important way to introduce potential customers to VIASPACE and Giant King Grass.”
Bioenergy Insight magazine is published 6 times a year in England with worldwide circulation. It is targeted at companies producing biomass fuel in the form of pellets and briquettes, and those using renewable materials to produce biopower, biogas, combined heat & power (CHP), and liquid biofuels. The magazine covers pertinent bioenergy topics such as: the latest industry news, regulations & legislation, market analysis, and technological developments. Each issue is mailed to a minimum of 3,000 subscribers within the sector.
The magazine is generally available only to paid subscribers, but the VIASPACE article is available for free on the Bioenergy Insight website: http://issuu.com/horseshoemedialtd/docs/bioenergy_insight_july-august_2016/1?e=5570454/37155799 on page 46-47. The article is also available on the VIASPACE website at www.VIASPACE.com.
VIASPACE grows renewable Giant King® Grass as a low-carbon fuel for clean electricity generation; for environmentally friendly energy pellets; and as a feedstock for bio-methane production and for green cellulosic biofuels, biochemicals and biomaterials. Giant King® Grass is a proprietary, high yield, dedicated biomass energy crop. Giant King® Grass when it is cut frequently at 4 to 5 feet tall is also excellent animal feed. The USDA granted approval for planting Giant King® Grass throughout the US and cooperates in exporting by performing the required inspections and issuing the phytosanitary certificate needed for import into foreign countries. Giant King® Grass is being grown in California, Hawaii, St. Croix Virgin Islands, Nicaragua, South Africa, China, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines and Guyana. For more information, please go to www.VIASPACE.com or contact Dr. Jan Vandersande, Director of Communications, at 800-517-8050 or IR@VIASPACE.com.
Safe Harbor StatementInformation in this news release includes forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements relate to future events or future performance and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements to be materially different from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. Such factors include, without limitation, risks outlined in our periodic filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2015, and other factors over which VIASPACE has little or no control.